Dame Zapatos

Thursday, October 05, 2006

One Vote for Thalacemia (Thalassemia)!!!

So good news is I am not a sickle cell carrier nor do I have any kidney issues.

Bad news is I have a decreased RBC count (anemia), microcytosis (small cells due to a lack of HgB), iron deficiency (usually due to poor diet or blood loss), and severly low HgB levels (which makes sense bc the rbc count is low and they carry the Hgb)....woohooo....All this equals poor oxygen delivery (and severe exhaustion)...which equals less oxygen to my muscles and vital organs (like my heart)especially during exertion i.e. marathon training...which equals possible cardiac arrest during said exertive activity................FABULOUS!

Now my HgB would have to drop 2 more points before I'd require blood transfusions(I'm at a 9 and 7 or below is really really bad as opposed to just really bad) and it would need to raise 4 more points for me to be in the normal zone. The doctor strongly recommends I do not run and asked "how committed are you to this marathon?"..."uh it's three weeks away...I'm doing it"....to which the dr. replied "well at least promise me that you are not trying to win the thing or even come close."...no worries doc I'm two hours behind the Nigerians.

So sadly this could be my last marathon...that is unless of course I have Thalacemia!!!! In which case my Hgb, while still low, would be more acceptable and only need to rise 1-ish points and I would be okay to run without risking my heart health....so let's hope the blood tests reveal thalacemia!

Otherwise they have to figure out where my HgB and RBC are going????

Gotta love that thalacemic silver lining :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home